I learned so much for my former teacher Maria DeLaJuen and I am very happy to own two pieces of art with her signature. She was the one that first introduced me to the old masters. When I paint or think about painting, her words and voice are ever present in my heart. So much so, that it brings tears to my eyes.
On the first day of my new journey, as I get my studio space ready for the days ahead, I think of her.
Here is an exerpt from a letter she typed to me; a treasured gift:
1. Quality: Comes by seeing great art, by looking at great objects of art. A room all your own and a time all your own, build your mind. Knowledge of past art is important, get excited about it, capture the spirit of it.
2. Control: Comes through knowledge and pratice.
3. Faith: You must believe in yourself, never give up, NEVER GIVE UP expect a masterpiece each time you work.
4. Persistance: Keep working past point where you want to give up, where you want to put your foot through it.
5. Patience: There is no short cut to great art, it takes time and work.
Simple, strong, solid!!!
Maria was very passionate about life and art. I can hear her voice now, as she says very passionately, "NEVER GIVE UP".
All I've ever thought about and dreamed about, was being an artist and painting.